Amber Leigh Ortiz, Project List, 1/27/2012
Current Lab Work: Project 1
Can mNPs be endocytosed in Breast Cancer cells as a Cancer Therapy Using an AMF to cause hyperthermia?
- Will the cell take up the mNPs?
- What surface characteristic will increase the possibility of endocytosis?
- Can the cells be killed by heat?
- What temperature?
- How long?
- Will the AMF increase the residual heat with the help of the mNPs?
- How are the mNPs taken up by the cells?
- Do the mNPs have any inherent toxicity?
- At what concentrations?
- How long must the cells incubate with the mNPs?
- What happened overtime?
- 30min --> 24hrs
- Will targeting be used?
- If not why?
- How? What can/will be used?
- Clinical, how will treatment be applied?
Outreach/ the "NEW" Freshmen Summer Bridge Program: Project 2
- Increase freshmen retention rates
- Math and Science requirements are low in the High School curriculum
- Math (Science in some cases) is now always required in the senior year
- Increase interest in STEM Fields
- Prepare HS students for college course rigor
- Obtain network of friends/support prior to beginning college
- Students need better advisement
- Students able to become "pre-major" status through program
- Able to cater advising early on
- Current Freshmen Summer Bridge Programs
- 3 months (short)
- Not full length college courses
- No lab experience
- Many points discussed above
- Students will be a part of a yearlong program
- Starting in their Senior year and ending just before beginning their first year in college
- Students will obtain research experience
- Help with finding specific interests in science and better understanding
- College Credit - Participate in Math, Science, and English course
- Help in bridging into the course rigor
- Help students to pick proper freshmen course list
- Students obtain mentors
- Upperclassmen students help them through the process
- Best classes
- Best professors
- Best tutors
- Best TAs
- Participate in mini-symposium presented by different (participating) departments
- Students learn "What is out there?"
- Program provides tutors for students during the program
- Students learn about the University
- Other Resources
- Students are tracked to understand program efficacy
Program Eligibility: ?
- Personal Essays
- Future Goals
- Why they want to be a part of the program
- Must have "on-track" graduation status with HS
- Must be planning to apply to college
- Preferably State school?
- Will the program help in this application process